Discover more from Lonely ROCKS’s Newsletter
Lonely ROCKS at Untitled Art
Announcing the winners, plus booth info and our first sale!
Come visit our booth! A41
Thanks to the Herculean efforts of Benton C Bainbridge and Alex Staley, Lonely ROCKS has reached its final destination: Miami Beach, Untitled Art fair! Doors opened on Monday for the VIP preview and the Curator House finalists were announced. Check them out below! We also made our first sale.
Are you in Miami? Reach out to co-founder James McGirk (currently on paternity leave) at email@example.com for a pass. And if you aren’t, on Dec 1st the first Lonely ROCKS 1/1 NFTs drop. Expect details soon!
Announcing the Curator House Selections
1. Benton C Bainbridge: Picturing You: Benton C Bainbridge (Big Beard 2), 2014. $15,000, 1920 x 1080 *
2. James Brandon McGirk: Three Border Crossings, 2022. $4,250 # 1920 x 1080px, Runtime: 2:43
3. Sarah Banks: Deserted Carnival Flower, 2022. $5,000, Runtime: 0:15 * 2100 x 2400 pixels
4. LoVid: HandHeld, 2004. $6,000 *
This early digital drawing is a collage of patterns from LoVid's video synthesizers recordings. This drawing was produced as a unique laser etched painting for the exhibition Infinite Fill curated by Cory and Jamie Arcangel for Foxy Production Gallery in 2004. The image is of the artists connected hands by touch and wireful AV signals.
5. Moises Sanabria: A Latin man wearing a VR headset immersed in a bubble chamber in the metaverse, 2016. $4,000 *
Conceptual Art has always informed my speculative digital art practice, where the idea and (now prompt) guides my process.
6. Carla Gannis: Smiling on the Inside, 2022. $10,000 # Runtime: 1:00
7. Vanessa Coleman: Retro Wave of Paradox, 2022. $5,000 *
8. Linda Loh: I, 2022. $5,500 #
HD video 1080x1920. 00:05:11. This is a portrait of the idea of “self”, comprising my own imagery that looks like the letter “I”. As this non-narrative work evolved, a multitude of thoughts and allusions arose, my own projections now embedded within it: Who am I? What is self? Where is self? Ephemeral and elusive moments, in and out of the physical realm; everyday earthly items blurring into otherworldly spectres, a rhythmic motion, like a heartbeat; totemic, scarab-like forms merge in and out with anatomic bodily shapes, centres of the body-mind, watery birth, channels, ascension, the symbol of the mirror, luminous dreamy interiority. A self portrait of a human prototype - ethereal and intangible.
9. Maria Gudjohnsen: Storm, 2022. $7,000 #
Self-portrait in the rain.
10. Yi Hsuan Lai: Listeners, 2020. $4,500 *
In this self-portrait, the fleshy object becomes one with my body and represents people’s uncanny and isolated psychological status. The somatic sculpture embodies the form of an ear and an extensional body part. It conveys messages about one’s desire to transform and express one’s longing for social connection.
11. Victoria Keddie: TEST PATTERNS, 2018. $10,000 # Runtime: 15:06
Screened and performed live by Victoria Keddie at Barbican Hall, January 28, 2018 Sound by Seaming To Commissioned by Video Jam for Basquiat Boom For Real Retrospective Barbican Gallery, London, UK
12. Nicole Ruggiero & Ines Alpha: Tears in the Wind (Video), 2018. $12,000 # Runtime: 00:18
In the digital realm, you can choose to feel whatever you want in whatever way you want. Tears don't have to be sad, they can look beautiful. Tears In The Wind shows the beauty in sadness and the calm it brings afterwards.
13. Bill Etra: Personality Flux, 2016. $10,000 #
Personality Flux is the last known self-portrait by Bill Etra, uploaded by Bill ten days before his passing. Confined to his bed and with limited use of his hands, Bill's Android tablet was the only tool he used to create this artwork.